Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Talk About Tuesday


This is the VERY FIRST installment of Talk Abut Tuesday so it would be a good time to jump on the bandwagon! I know I've been including a lot of these on my blog lately. Frankly, it is sometimes hard for me to think of exactly I want to blog about each day. These kind of give me a focus and take the pressure off some of the days. Can you all believe that I've posted AT LEAST one time each day this whole year?

This week I'm being consumed with a top I am designing for the Project Lincoln contest held by my local yarn shop, The Yarn Shop. I have done some designing of my own patterns before but nothing of this magnitude. The final reveal will be at a fashion show this Saturday at the shop.

I called on Wendy to be my model. As much as I would like one of these tops myself, I just couldn't bear to make one for my ample bosom. We started by finding a few designs in magazines that we liked. We settled on the Josephine top in one of the past Interweave Knits (shown above). It ended up being a coincidence that I chose the same color of yarn. My only other choices at the shop were really bright red, purple, or green. I think you'll all agree that my top will look best in this muted color. Anyway, we kept the basic shape of the garment and the corded empire waist and then we made the rest our own.


I chose a simple lace fan design for the body. Here it is before steaming. The cotton flake yarn is a nubby yarn so it has some really thin/thick places. It makes plain stockinette stitch look interesting. I think it works really well with this top.

And now for the blocking. When this top came off the needles it looked like it might fit Eva (my 2 1/2 yr. old). With the help of my handy board from Hancock Fabrics, I was able to pin it out to a reasonable size and steam it into submission.
Here is a close up of the lace pattern after it has been opened up through the blocking. It makes a really cute scalloped edge at the blottom that I really like.

We had a fitting yesterday morning and then I seamed it up and started on the sleeves. I'm doing a basic stockinette sleeve and I'm envisioning some sort of rolled edge to match what I'm going to do when I finish the neckline. It is all going to depend on how it looks. It might take a couple of tries. I better get on that since I need to be done by Saturday!

Using the now infamous words of Project Runway guru Tim Gunn, I'm going to "MAKE IT WORK!".

12 comments:

  1. Christy - I love your yarn choice, and the color is perfect. Definitely want to see this on your model when done. The show is THIS weekend? No pressure, huh. :) KNIT ON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the finished product. It's so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You MADE that? It looks great.....I am retiring from crafts. I can barely crochet a chain, let alone KNIT anything. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is gorgeous. You are wonderfully talented. I hope you can post a picture when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The details look amazing! I can't wait to see it finished next Tuesday. You won't let us down will you??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Knitting is hard for me to do. I can do it but I don't get any faster. I'm envious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is gorgeous. The color is so lovely too. I'm am definitly impressed. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:00 PM

    That is beautiful! You should be so proud of yourself. I can crochet but I have not taken up knitting yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is pretty - pattern & yarn choice. I attempted to learn crochet & only got as far as making a chain. I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that looks sooo nice. You are amazing what you can do. I don't have a knitting bone in my body.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you kept saying "our choice" or the decisions "we" made, girl, you know it was all YOU!! You're amazing, and I love it! You'll have to strut down the runway with me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It will be fun to see your finished product, but it's fascinating to watch the process. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete