Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Paranoid

Caleb's special ed teacher does a home visit once a week. It is great. She gets to see him in action and I get to learn all the special tricks she uses at school to keep him from beating up everyone. Today she asked me if I ever thought about getting Eva evaluated. Actually, I hadn't. I know she doesn't have autism so I didn't think about the possibility of her needing services for something else. We talked a little bit about it and Caleb's teacher just seemed a little concerned because Eva won't talk to her much and when she does it is hard to understand her.

I called to set up an evaluation. It can't hurt anything to see and if she does qualify for services...great! I can use all the help I can get. At any rate I'll get back in touch with the services coordinator that I really like.

All afternoon I've been listening carefully to everything Eva says and how she says it. Yep, now I'm paranoid.

5 comments:

  1. Does she talk? I mean, if it's just a speech impediment that's not a big whoop, right? It seems like all the kids are doing speech therapy these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not worried that it is a big deal. Compared to Caleb, she talks A LOT! It just makes me question my judgment because I didn't think there was anything wrong with Caleb for a long time, either. I'm sure whatever it is with Eva (if ANYTHING) will be easily remedied. If not, I've got some more free preschool and IEPs to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone asked me if Corynn was seeing a speech therapist- and I was hurt- then I became very paranoid. I asked a friend to come over and evaluate her (she's a speech therapist for LPS). She said- Corynn was just fine. She is a typical four year old. Learning her words and sounds.

    She also said that as a culture we are expecting more and more out of our kids especially in the early stages of development. Not every kid will be reciting Hamlet clearly and concisely at age 4- she is doing just fine and I should quit worrying.

    I am sure Eva is fine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think she talks more (and more clearly) than Whitney does. But you're right, you may as well get it checked out and if she qualifies for free services, YEAH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:07 PM

    When your little girl is older it might be helpful for her to have a chance to talk to someone 'cause it's really tough being a sibling to someone with special needs.

    ReplyDelete