Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Sunday, October 07, 2007

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Our church has conference two times a year. It is always the first weekend of April and October. Before the internet and satellite tv, we would truck on over to the church where it would be transmitted to the huge satellite dish at the meetinghouse. There are 4 general sessions (2 hours each, 2 a day). This was a lot of sitting at church.

Enter BYU-TV. Now anyone with this channel can enjoy conference from the comfort of their own home. Some families still dress up to watch conference at home to keep with the "spirit" of church. Other families play conference bingo with their kids to help them pay attention. Did they say 'Faith'? BINGO!!! At our house, we might get dressed and we'll eat a lot. Our kids can be loud and if we miss something we can REWIND!

6 comments:

  1. What did we do before DVR and rewind?!?!? I'm so glad I had my kids after Conference technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listen better when my hands are busy which I don't feel I can do at Church (especially in the dark). I get lots of little busy tasks done while listening. Plus, I can stay home for a whole day without ever leaving my house. A BIG novelty these days.

    I watch it online, though. Not as perfect as BYU-TV, but still pretty grand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, we paused it during Elder Eyring this morning so I could make the pancakes (yes, breakfast at 11am!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:11 PM

    Ahhhhhhhh! Conference weekend. My favorite Sundays of the year. I did get dressed (although casually) before it started. Yesterday I made waffles which were served as the morning session came on (9:00 our time). This morning I spent the session sorting through the grapes which are almost dried into raisins. That's a task I prefer to do when I'm watching or listening to something. I also like to have something to do with my hands while watching conference. Hurray for the Internet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's another upside because of all of you who watch at home. The parking lot and chapel aren't croweded. Plenty of parking and plenty of good seats! Downside: when I snooze, I can't rewind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great option forpeople with young children.

    ReplyDelete