Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Autism Awareness Month

Some of you may have noticed that I placed a badge on my sidebar asking for donations. All donations using that badge go directly to Autism Speaks. I was hoping that I would be able to raise money for Autism Speaks by walking in Nebraska's Walk for Autism. That isn't working out this inagural year because of things out of my control. But, that isn't going to stop me from trying to raise as much money as I can through this blog. Please consider donating. There is a $10 minimum to donate in this way but in the next couple of weeks I'm also going to unveil some cards I'm making to sell and all combined profits will go to Autism Speaks.


I never thought that autism would be a part of our family. We're lucky we caught it early and Caleb's prognosis is pretty good. He's making such great strides in his communication skills. He is forming new sentences daily and we're seeing progress with his agression. This is something that Caleb is going to have to live with for the rest of his life. It affects the way he thinks, relates to people, and communicates. It also is providing him with some great gifts---his innate musical ability and memory. I didn't ask for this, but I certainly wouldn't change it. It makes him who he is and we love him. A lot.

Did you know…
  • 1 in 150 children is diagnosed with autism
  • 1 in 94 boys is on the autism spectrum
  • 67 children are diagnosed per day
  • A new case is diagnosed almost every 20 minutes
  • More children will be diagnosed with autism this year than with AIDS, diabetes & cancer combined
  • Autism is the fastest-growing serious developmental disability in the U.S.
  • Autism costs the nation over $90 billion per year, a figure expected to double in the next decade
  • Autism receives less than 5% of the research funding of many less prevalent childhood diseases
  • Boys are four times more likely than girls to have autism
  • There is no medical detection or cure for autism
  • From www.autismspeaks.org

3 comments:

  1. Thank you to whoever donated! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:36 PM

    This is a great idea and I can't wait for your cards...I would love to purchase some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you did not scare me away and I too would love to purchase some cards.... I was just thinking yesterday I need to get some more cards to have on hand. Hello to everyone!

    ReplyDelete