Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Craft Heaven

The spare room in our house is my craft heaven. When we moved in here last year all the guys that helped us by bringing in our boxes and furniture quickly learned the name of that room. I think they thought I was a little crazy but I bet all their wives would want a craft heaven if they don't have one already.

Craft Heaven has gone through a few incarnations. We traded the bed that was in there for a twin that we'll use for Eva. So, now there is more room for an extra table and chairs for workspace.

I put my state and county fair ribbons on the wall. Not bad for one year, right?

My cubbies need some work. But, they are coming along. I like having the room semi-organized now so I can work on the things I'm making for my Open House. On April 28th from 2-5pm, come by the house and see some of the things I've created that are available for purchase (40% of all proceeds to be donated to Autism Speaks). If you're not close enough to drop in, I'll send out an email letting you know how you can get some of the items if you're interested.

This is another example of one of the cards I have.

I have always been somewhat crafty. I prefer to make things myself when I can. I've been stamping a lot lately and knitting kind of took over my life right when Caleb's behavioral issues started. I think having that creative outlet has really helped me these past couple of years. Having a hobby or interest outside of the home is really important and even more so when you may have a family life that can be so physically and mentally draining (whether your child has special needs or not!). I'm glad that I've found a couple of hobbies that make me happy and take the edge off.

What are your hobbies?

Want to win a gift certificate to Stampin' UP!? CLICK HERE to find out how to enter my drawing for Autism Awareness Month.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:14 AM

    My friend taught me to knit when I was going through some stressful times after our move to Nebraska. It has really helped me to unclench my jaw and keep my mind from spinning with stressful thoughts and worries. It's amazing how focusing on some sticks and string can clear your head and make you feel so much better, isn't it? I used to say knitting was cheaper than therapy, but then I discovered really nice wool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny, Julie! It's definitely not cheaper than therapy now that I knit with the "good stuff"...but I don't think any good hobby is supposed to save you money. That is, unless saving money is your hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brent remembers helping you move in. The room definitely has grown into character since those days. Excellent job--the ribbons are impressive. Keep up the great work. Someday, I'll figure out how to use krazy glue (that's about the extent of my craft ability). Miss you. Shanna

    ReplyDelete