Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Reading Rut

For the past month I have been in a rut with my reading. I can usually knock out 2-4 books a month. I can't remember the last book I finished. Last night before book group (no, I didn't read the book) I decided to go to the library. I think that was all I needed to get out of my funk. I came home with three books and I'm excited about reading again.

This isn't one of the books I got at the library. I actually own this one. If I did my html correctly, you should be able to click on the book for the link. I found this book to be really helpful as a parent. There are sections that would be good for grandparents, caregivers, and teachers as well. If you aren't directly impacted by autism, this book probably isn't for you. It talks a lot about the process of diagnosis, different treatment options, coping with all that comes with a diagnosis, and how to move forward.

If you're looking for books to read that give an overview of what it might be like to live with autism, here are a few I would recommend:

1. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. This is a fictional story of a teen with Asperger's Syndrome. I've written about this book before on the blog and it is one of my favorite books.

2. Elijah's Cup. This is a memoir written by the mother of a boy with Asperger's. A caregiver is also autistic so you get a good sense of strategies adults use as well.

3 comments:

  1. Check your mail in a couple of days because I'm sending you something that will get you out of your rut.

    I LOVED "A Curious Incident..." It was so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it Twilight? Because after reading your review I'm really excited to read it. That's why I went to the library but they were all checked out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup. I just sent it. It should show up in a week. The author is LDS - at least she went to BYU. It would be a good one to review for your LDS Readers site.

    I'm glad your library had them all checked out. I was 90 on the hold list. Luckily my mom bought this one for me. I bought the sequel so let me know if you want that one too.

    ReplyDelete