Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Mormons

On April 30th and May 1st, PBS is doing a special 4 hour documentary on the Mormons. I'm curious to see what it is like and I'm sure I'll be blogging about it after I watch the episodes. I've always been surprised about a lot of the misconceptions many people still have about our faith--not the least of which is that we aren't Christian. This is so far from the truth! I'm especially anxious to hear reactions from my blog readers that aren't members of the church. So, watch it and let me know. Did you learn something new about us? Did you have some questions answered? Was something you thought to be true nothing more than a misunderstanding or falsehood?

Here is the "blurb" on the show from PBS.

The MormonsThe Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is one of America's fastest growing religions, and its influence circles the globe. The church has 12 million members today and over half of them live outside the United States. Yet the birth of Mormonism and its history is one of America's great neglected narratives. This four-hour documentary brings together FRONTLINE and AMERICAN EXPERIENCE in their first co-production to provide a searching portrait of this fascinating but often misunderstood religion. Produced by award-winning filmmaker Helen Whitney ("Faith and Doubt at Ground Zero," "John Paul II: The Millennial Pope"), the film will explore the richness, the complexities, and the controversies of the Mormons' story as told through interviews with leaders and members of the church, with leading writers and historians, and with supporters and critics of the Mormon faith.


I spent the afternoon at church today and was amazed at the response I got from people about the email I sent out publicizing the fundraiser and open house for Autism Awareness Month. I got slipped a few checks and got lots of hugs. I'll be submitting the grand total from all open house sales and extra donations tomorrow. I can't wait to see that total jump up! We're still a little short on my goal of $300 for the month (did you notice that it isn't $310 anymore? Yep, 30 days hath September...and apparently, April). Ha ha. So, if you've been waiting to donate...now is the time!

5 comments:

  1. Christy,
    Thanks for the info on the PBS event. Also, congrats on all the good you are doing for autism awareness!!

    PS. Thanks for the blog help. I tried it out...ended up being able to add one link, then, it wasn't working so well. Will try again later! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy, I think all the publicizing you have been doing about Autism Awareness is wonderful. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found out today that our choir director's daughter has high-functioning autism. I had no idea! She is 9 years old, but didn't get diagnosed until she was 6 I think. They took her to a child psychologist when she was 3, and they were told she had ADD and she was dumb, and to not expect much out of her because she was dumb. Can you believe it???? A professional with 30 years experience who came highly recommended diagnosed their daughter as dumb. She isn't dumb at all. She has some sensory issues, like with loud noises, and she doesn't understand humor. She is also very good at memorization and musical skills like Caleb. How sad that she didn't get properly diagnosed at first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerry-there are still a lot of psychologists and doctors out there that are untrained to recognize autism. It's crazy. Our doctor didn't mention it but she did have the foresight to refer us to early intervention. Even the early intervention staff just labeled Caleb as developmentally delayed. We're still working on getting his diagnosis right with the school system---they have to evaluate him themselves even though we already have a private practice psychologist's diagnosis.

    In our ward there are now 5 kids in primary with an actual diagnosis of autism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to thank you Christy- for all the awareness you have provided! I knew of autism - but knew nothing really about it. i have learned alot and so have my children.
    I think what they have learned will help them better understand children and peers with autism or other challenges and in turn respect and accept them more.

    I think back to when I was a kid and how cruel other kids were to classmates with disabilities and learning disorders. Its so different now- I think children are more open and understanding due to the openess of the topic. They are allowed to ask questions and talk about it!

    ReplyDelete