Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Friday, April 20, 2007

Now Is the Best Later

I never did get back to my blog yesterday with the time I needed to do this post. I know I can handle things around here by myself but I'm always sad when Carl is gone. The morning routine is especially difficult without him here since he is the one that usually wakes up Caleb and gets him in the right mood for the day. We'll see how things go for me this afternoon when Caleb gets home from school.

Caleb does really well when he has a routine and a schedule. Don't we all? Here are some of the things that we've been using with him.

This is a bracelet similar to the ones that his teachers wear at school. This is actually one of their old ones that they gave me. I never know what kind of reaction I'm going to get when I use the bracelet. Sometimes he responds immediately and other times he gets upset when I'm trying to tell him to stop yelling or to sit down. The good thing about the bracelet is that I know he understands every picture on there and if I just show him the picture, I don't have to worry about whether or not he heard me or understood what I said. Sometimes I let him hold the bracelet himself. This works well at church and I let him take it to Primary. The teachers say it helps a lot.

One thing that Caleb is using at school that we're trying to use more in our house is a picture schedule.


The grad student from UNL that has been coming this semester for one of her classes, made it for us. I also hired her to work with me 10-15 hours a week. I was joking with Carl that he should start calling me Professor Mom now that I have my own grad student. Anyway...this is similar to what he uses at school to help him know where to go next. Our use of this at home is not very rigid. It is helpful when Caleb gets bored or when he has done something for a long time and I want him to change activities. I tell him to check his schedule and I have a little check mark card in my pocket that I give to him. He takes it to his board (this is attached with velcro to the side of our entertainment center at Caleb's eye level) and sees what is listed. He doesn't always choose what is first on the list and that is okay. The main thing is he has the choice of what to do next, he shows me, we do it, and then he puts it in the "DONE" folder. He always says, "[piano] is D-O-N-E, spells DONE!".

You still have time to get in on this next drawing. A little bird told me that there is an Arbonne sea salt scrub ($26 value!) ready to go out to someone that has spread the word about Autism Awareness! Click here for contest details. I will draw a winner on Saturday night for announcement on Sunday's blog.

7 comments:

  1. I have seen Caleb with his cards at church and wondered how they work. It must be so great to have those tools to help. Great teachers are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:23 AM

    We are very fortunate to have the tools we need to work with Caleb.
    On a side note I have used the Arbonne sea salt scrub it is Wonderful!!!!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. the PECS [books, schedule board etc] all help my boys amazingly.
    Good for you.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christy,

    I am Maren's friend, Karlea. We met at BYU in our major classes. I too have an adopted son who was diagnosed with autism this year. The daily schedules are awesome and there is a wonderul website called joeschedule.com that you may want to check out. It was created by a mom with an autistic son. It costs $30 a year to subscribe, but well worth it. She has ever imaginable picture you'd need down to choices for snacks. It saves the hours of clip art searches looking for the right pictures. I live in California, and there are lots of autism resources. I'm wondering if Nebraska offers state funding for therapies? I know of several programs worth looking into. If you're interested, email me at karlea21@yahoo.com I'd love to give you the info, but I think my post is too long as is. You're doing a great job Mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its great that you have some tools to help Caleb throughout both of your days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool, Christy. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karlea-thanks for coming to my blog! I've been reading your blog for a few days now (now that I've found Maren's) and had no idea your son has autism (or was adopted). Small world.

    Unfortunately, Nebraska doesn't offer a lot of state funding for therapies. We have applied for a subsidy for respite care and we are working on getting SSI, but other than that...zippo.

    ReplyDelete