Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Young Man, There's a Place You Can Go

My birthday is tomorrow. Usually I make a super huge deal about it and this year I was hoping to have a Sweet 16 X 2 party. If you can do the math, you'll know how old I'm going to be. Anyway, these past couple of weeks have been such that I couldn't even really think about it. So, no party. That doesn't mean I'm not doing my fair share of celebrating. I'm going to lunch tomorrow with some ladies I visit at church (one of them is celebrating a birthday this week as well). Carl is even coming home to watch the kids so I don't have to take them along! We don't have plans for tomorrow night. I think we might go out or get take out or something. I don't know. Thursday night I'm going to the Jason Mraz concert with Wendy and on Saturday we will be getting pedicures. I can't really be feeling too bad about not planning a party. It should be a good week.

I'm still more confused than ever about my hair. I guess I just can't be bothered with a label of blond or brunette. I'll just describe my hair color as "fabulous" and leave it at that!

Autism Awareness month continues...I was asked to be on a committee at the YMCA to help develop programs and help them be more accessible to patrons with special needs. Our first meeting was last night. I'm the only one with a child that is young. Most of the other people involved have teenagers or are professionals that work with kids with special needs. I hope that by the time Caleb is old enough to take advantage of a lot of what the Y has to offer, some of these programs will be in place. He does well in the child watch area but I did mention that I would like it if they had special sections of some of the classes that have limited space so there is a better teacher to student ratio (like gymnastics and swim lessons). We're going to work on that. It feels good to be involved and help advocate for other parents that might have the same wants/needs. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to be asked to give my input.

8 comments:

  1. If you and Carl want to go out tomorrow night...alone....feel free to bring the kids by! I know how nice it is to go out and actually have a real conversation with your husband... rather than helping the kids color their placematts! Just a thought!

    Happy early Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:31 AM

    Happy Almost Birthday!!

    I'm glad to hear that the YMCA is making an effort to better serve people with special needs. I taught swim lessons a decade or so ago at the Y as a teenager. One class I remember in particular had about 14 4-year-olds in it and one adorable little boy who was severely autistic. And deaf. And only spoke Spanish. I don't think I've ever felt more helpless, and needless to say nobody much learned to swim. So I'm glad they now have people like you to help make it a friendlier place for everybody!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audra-thanks for the offer but we're going on a "date" Saturday night to the Knolls for Carl's work so I'd actually prefer to have the kids with me on my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cool that you will be able to help develop programs and whatever else at the Y. It's great to be able to be involved. You will be a great asset.

    And in case it slips my mind tomorrow...Happy Early Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhh- how sweet...date night! Hope you have a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday tomorrow. That's so cool that you'll be 29. :)

    The YMCA is awesome. I bet it feels great to be on that committee. yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulos it is! you make me laugh:)

    That is great that your on the committee, they need people like you to help get the word out. In the future it will be a happy place for everyone. Thats got to make you smile!

    Happy Birthday... just read this in about 6 hours or more:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:04 PM

    Christy,
    Have a very Happy Birthday week! Wish we could deliver our wishes in person.

    ReplyDelete