Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Thursday, April 26, 2007

What Kind of World You Want

This was mentioned in the comments here on this blog earlier this month and I thought it was worth putting it out here for all of you to see. You can go to this website and watch a video by Five for Fighting. A donation is made to Autism Speaks when you watch it. Make sure you scroll down to see view the Autism Speaks intro.

I've got another funny story about the kids. I was upstairs checking my email this afternoon and I heard Caleb go into the kitchen. Here is the conversation:

Caleb: Eva, you want some ice cream?
Eva: Yes.
Caleb: Eva, you want some ice cream?
Eva: Yes.
I come into the room and see him opening the freezer...
Me: Caleb, what are you doing?
Caleb: Mommy, you go play on the computer right now.
Me: Do you need a snack?
Caleb: Go play, Mommy.
Eva: CREAM!

They didn't get any ice cream but I was so impressed with the way Caleb was using his words.

Okay, one more. On our sliding glass door that leads to the backyard we have two locks and also a piece of wood that is up really high that keeps them from opening the door. One of the locks is useless. Both kids know how to open it. The second lock can only be opened by Eva. Caleb has yet to master it. Up until last week, they couldn't get to the wood. Now my two little angels work together to get out of the house. Caleb pulls over a chair and then jumps off of it to knock the wood down. Then, he asks Eva if she wants to go outside. She always says yes. So, he asks her to open the door and then she unlocks the lock. They are then free to run away. Which, they do. When Carl came home from his trip last weekend, I told him we had a major issue with our home security. He built a "wall" out of old computer towers and our wood pile. The kids can still get outside but it will take them a lot longer to breach the "wall" so I have a chance to chase them and get them before they make it down the street. They only try to escape when they know I'm otherwise indisposed (ahem, everybody's gotta pee sometime). Luckily the weather has been rotten these past couple of days so they haven't hatched any escape plans since Monday.

There are just a few more days of Autism Awareness Month. Please spread the word and don't forget to check out the items I have for sale for my Open House Fundraiser.

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:45 AM

    We had this same problem with the sliders when our twins were little. They would work together for their freedom.
    If you go to Home Depot or Lowes, they have newer sliding glass door bar locks that are simple to install and harder for little hands to manage.
    Gotta love escapees!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:34 AM

    My parents also tried something similar with our sliding glass door when I was little. The lock wasn't great, so they put a long piece of wood in the track on the floor to keep it from being opened. It quickly became known as the "trouble stick"... because whenever my brother or I would pick it up, it was only a matter of time before somebody got in trouble. :) Your kids sound much more clever than we were!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wood in track didn't last even a day so we rigged up something where we could rest the piece of wood up high. That lasted almost a year before they figured it out so it is time to get another step ahead than the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok. that's funny, but not so funny. My dad always has stories to tell us of when he was little and followed his dad to work one day, or ran away to the rodeo, or ran away to the grocery store. And I swear he was always about 3 when he did this. I asked him the other day what grandma was always doing when he escaped.He didn't know. But I do know one thing she resorted to to keep him from escaping involved some rope and the tree in the front yard.Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now Carl has even more reasons to keep old computers...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:15 AM

    LOL. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad to know my kids aren't the only ones who come up with these plans. Both of my kids have mastered all our door locks. I'm so thankful for our fenced yard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember my mother saying she would dress my older brother in all red so that when he escaped she could look down the hill and spot him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love kid stories! Keep them coming! That would really freak me out though because I'd worry that they'd sneak out in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute story! Two can deffinetly get into a lot of trouble... I can only imagine what three will be cabable of...

    I love all of your stories too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christy

    Don't know if this would help but we used a shower curtain rod and a spring loaded curtain rod. Tim tried to knock it down with a broom but it was too tight to budge... You can always give it a try we kept it at the very top :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Deanna-that is an excellent idea! I'll run it by Dr. Carl.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I noticed the kids were studying me when I put the door back together Saturday. Those kids, I tell you, so smart!

    Caleb is doing so good... I'm proud of him AND you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9:07 PM

    I wish you could have heard the laughter these stories caused. We love hearing about such antics. More! More!

    (Good luck with your tighter security measures.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. so funny. . .I agree that shower curtain idea might work. . .until they figure out how to do pull ups on it until it falls.

    I was cracking up about it being a reason for Carl to keep the old computers (Don't encourage him!!)

    ReplyDelete