Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Thursday, April 12, 2007

While I Have Your Attention

I'm sure a lot of you that commented yesterday in my contest might not read my blog on a regular basis. So while you're back to find out if you won my awesome prize, I'd like to turn your attention to Autism Awareness. We're observing Autism Awareness Month at the crafty conservative by raising funds for Autism Speaks through my side banner and spreading the word about the disorder so people can be more informed and choose how best to act on that information. This post I did less than a week ago explains a lot about how Caleb got diagnosed and some of the things we deal with on a daily basis. Chances are you or someone you know is affected by this disorder through a family member, co-worker, or neighbor. I've set a goal for myself to raise at least $310 this month through the blog. This is one $10 donation a day for April. Please consider helping if you can...even if it is just spreading the word to as many people as possible.
These statistics are from Autism Speaks.

Incidence vs. Private Funding
  • Leukemia: Affects 1 in 25,000 / Funding: $310 million
  • Muscular Dystrophy: Affects 1 in 20,000 / Funding: $175 million
  • Pediatric AIDS: Affects 1 in 8,000 / Funding: $394 million
  • Juvenile Diabetes: Affects 1 in 500 / Funding: $130 million
  • Autism: Affects 1 in 150 / Funding: $15 million

National Institutes of Health Funds Allocation
  • Total 2005 NIH budget: $29 billion
  • Of this, only $100 million goes towards autism research. This represents 0.3% of total NIH funding.
I know my little fundraiser isn't going to be able to contribute thousands but I'm trying to do my part and I really appreciate all the support and help that all of you have given me and my family. At the end of this month I'll have another contest and will give as many prizes as there are donations. Do you have something you might want to donate as a prize? Let me know. I'd love to be able to give away an assortment of goodies and have it be a real celebration at the end of the month!

And now, the winner of the most awesome assortment of goodies from me! This is what will come in the mail to the lucky winner!

What is all this stuff, you ask? In the very front are 3 magnets, a couple of hand made cards, a spool of ribbon, a Kit Kat (my favorite--along with Twix), a butterfly garden seed packet (I HAD to include something from the Target $1 spot), a Pampered Chef i-slice (the BEST thing to use if you clip coupons), some air freshener (this one is Method Lavendar & Lemongrass--I usually stick with Febreze but they don't have lids so don't ship well), and some dishcloth cotton.

Okay, okay. Who won?

DEANNA said:
My guess is 148.... it started with 150 then Caleb ate at least two before getting caught :)

The actual number was 149 and then it got down into the 130's after snacking some yesterday! But, this was a contest for how many it was in the picture. Either way, Deanna wins! Congratulations! I already have your mailing address, Deanna, so you don't have to do anything but be surprised when you get a little something in your box!

7 comments:

  1. By hitting next blog, I came across your blog! Anyway, I don't know if you have heard or not about Autism Speaks created a music video of the Five for Fighting song, "World", which features images of autistic children and their families. The band is generously donating $0.49 to Autism Speaks for each time the video is viewed and the winning charity will receive a special prize. Here is the link

    http://www.whatkindofworlddoyouwant.com/videos/view/id/213154

    You may have already posted about this some where on your blog.

    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shucks! I was so close.

    I would love to donate something for your drawing at the end of the month. Email me and we can figure out something fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christy I am so excited!!! I actually read daily and had to register my long slacking blog and my e-mail just to register my account to vote. Boy am I glad that I took the time :) Now my blog finally has Claire listed but I have to add a picture today. Thanks again and I hope you had a great birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:12 PM

    Thank you for the fun time yesterday. It was fun to guess but even more fun to see what everyone else was guessing.
    I haven't had a Twix in years...I think I need to go get one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darn! I'm so sad I didn't win! I bet you wish it really was 400 jelly beans...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, I never would have thought that there was that many! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete