Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Friday, June 01, 2007

Gas Mileage

I filled up the gas tank in my van on May 1st. I'm still using it. I have about 1/4 of a tank left and it will probably last me at least another week. Apparently, I don't do a lot of driving in my van. If I have to go anywhere I usually wait until Carl comes home so I can go without the kids and take the Honda. It also helps that when I do go out in the van, everything I need is all really close by.

Did you read see the story about Hypermilers? I saw it online somewhere and I think I even remember reading it in our local newspaper. There are people out there that squeeze every last mile out of their tanks of gas. They coast to stoplights and even find the highest point of a parking lot when they park so they can coast out of their space instead of accelerate. They don't drive over 55 mph. Sound extreme? One of these guys drives a Honda Civic and regularly gets over 55 miles per gallon in the city. It is rated at 34 mpg on the highway. I wonder how long my tank would last if I put some of these tips into practice?

I've got some six degrees of separation for you today:
Wendy's best friend Lisa's brother is the guitarist for Maroon 5. She's also guestblogging at Design Mom today if you want to read about it. Lisa is married to Topher and he is Cjane and NieNie's brother. Their grandma is married to Carl's grandpa Don. I didn't know this until I was reading Cjane's blog one day and found a picture of them. I wasn't really expecting to see a picture of Carl's grandpa floating around on blogland. But, now I've made the connection and I'm related by marriage/marriage/marriage to some really great people that Wendy told me about when I first moved here to Nebraska.

8 comments:

  1. I would think that you wouldn't actually save much money as you drove around the lot looking for the highest spot or on your insurance as you got rear ended for coasting to a stop light :-)

    Ok, call me a cynic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:55 PM

    My brain is goes in circles about the picture of Grandpa and Marion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:31 AM

    John has a Ford Escape Hybrid, and you just described his driving style. He got 55 m per gallon last week, but hybrids are only good for city driving where you can coast A LOT. The engine turns off and switches to the battery every time you let go of the gas, but the air conditioner also goes off, which I think is a design flaw. It still blows air, it's just not cold. All in all, great time to be gas savvy!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Christy, that's a cool six degrees of separation story.
    What are your favorite things to do in Chicago? I have a cousin coming from Canada and she was wondering what are the must-sees.
    We haven't actually done much in Chicago, so I thought I'd get tips from more of a Chicago-pro.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I predict Christy will recommend Oprah...What would give me that silly idea???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess my gas mileage will probably always suck. When I have two kids in the backseat fighting and it's a hundred degrees outside, I'll be hitting the gas to get home! Coasting is the last thing on my mind...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually, I wouldn't recommend going to Oprah at all. It is hard to get tickets (unless you're the Oprah ticket master like me, ha ha) and it sucks up a big chunk of your day.

    Here is what I like to do:
    "shop" the Miracle Mile
    Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium (you can get a city pass for the museums and other things--no waiting in line!)
    Lincoln Park Zoo (IT'S FREE!)
    eat a lot

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your 6 degrees story!

    ReplyDelete