Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Monday, June 18, 2007

Free Time

Ashley, my wonder-student/nanny, is here right now. You'll probably notice that now that school is out I don't have my mornings freed up to blog like I did before. I either have to get up really early before Caleb (highly unlikely) or find some way to sneak upstairs while the kids are playing (also unlikely). Now I just know that it can wait until Ashley comes.

Because of Ashley, I've stopped looking for therapists and mental institutions (for now). I'm caught up on the laundry. I can go on lunch dates. Not that I have gone on any lunch dates, but I can now if I want to. I feel I can make it through anything because I know that Ashley will show up and give me a little bit of respite.

I feel no guilt whatsoever paying Ashley to come and play with my kids for a couple of hours every other day. She works with Caleb on teaching him how to be more versatile with his toys and play schemes. They work on turn taking. She reads with him. They play outside. They work in a workbook and practice writing.

I can do all of these things with Caleb, too. I do. It is just that Caleb is just the kind of kid that works better for anyone else but me. It would take me all afternoon and a lot of fighting to read a new story to him. It takes Ashley five minutes. Once he gets used to a new story with Ashley, it takes me less time for him to do that with me. I've got a win/win situation on my hands.

Added bonus: now that I have some free time during the day, it makes me want to spend more family time together in the evening. Before I would not want to do much because I was just spent from keeping them entertained all day. Now I can do the extra things (like the Omaha Childrens Museum) and ENJOY them.

4 comments:

  1. This is the best thing I've read all day. She sounds well worth the money and is probably a bargain. Good for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:50 PM

    Never feel guilty about getting Ashley's help! I have told you that I work in pediatrics and believe me, having an additional caregiver is the best thing that Caleb can learn from. In autism, it is so hard to learn flexibility and adaptability.
    It is something to be proud of, something you are giving to Caleb too.
    And a sane mommy is a much happier mommy.
    I just wish I was you. My kids are at the age that I need a taxi service!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so great Christy. I wish I had someone coming to play with my kids every other day. It's just me full time almost all of the time. Even when John is home it's usually me with the kids because he has projects he's working on that need to be done around the house. I'm happy you have this help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is a great idea. It's good to have a happy and well rested mom--for EVERYONE!

    ReplyDelete