Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Saturday, June 02, 2007

It's Good to Be Rich

I know that title sounds all snotty but I don't mean it like that. After years and years of being students, it is really nice that Carl has a good job. We're still digging ourselves out from the lean years but we are seeing a light at the end of the tunnel and it is great.

I had an appointment with the Social Security office yesterday to see about getting some benefits for Caleb's disability. I was really hoping that we'd be able to get enough to pay for the student I hired (just under $200/month). I spent six weeks filling out the preliminary paperwork and I was denied in about 2 minutes. Why don't they put the income requirements out there in the first place? Then I would have known not to bother. I was encouraged to fill out the paperwork by the psychologist and the speech pathologist. They thought we might qualify. But, we make more than 2X the maximum of what they would even possibly consider. We're certainly not rolling in the dough. It's not like an assistant professor makes six figures or anything. We just need to have about 8 more kids and get no more raises if we want to qualify for a little government assistance with Caleb's therapies. I think you all know we're not going down that road. I guess I'll start to put my efforts into pushing legislation through so our insurance providers will start covering the extra therapy that would benefit our children.

The end.

p.s. Kayli--I answered the Chicago sight seeing question in the comments on the previous post.

p.p.s My computer has been on its last leg these past few days. We'll see if it lasts the weekend. Carl's going to try and find a new power supply soon but until then I'm just using my computer for the necessary things like blogging and reading my email. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Christy- Just think when he is 18 and stil living at home you can charge him rent and get full SSI :)
    Have you checked into the Medicaid Waiver program in Nebraska- This is not based on your income at all and is available to individuals with disabilites it provides respite for you as well as working on goals that affect daily living skills for Caleb. Does your insurance cover any therapies? Usually they are limited and sometimes you can get medicaid as a secondary insurance to cover some therapies? Was your appt with Social Security only?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally going to look into the Medicaid Waiver program. Our insurance covers some therapies with a copay, but as you know if we have to go a couple of times a week--that really adds up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:18 PM

    Off the topic - I'm really glad you had such a marvelous time in Vegas. It's good to replenish yourself once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete