Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Monday, June 11, 2007

Jícama 101

This, my friends, is a jícama. It is pronounced HEECK-uh-muh. I love them and I want you to love them, too.

To know me is to love me.
A jícama is a vegetable that comes from Mexico and South America. It has often been described as a blend between an apple and a potato. It is somewhat sweet, watery, and can be eaten raw as well as cooked. It can be boiled, steamed, and mashed or cut up to be eaten with guacamole, put into salads, or with just a smidge of lime and salt (my personal favorite). You can even grill it! I can imagine it could be a little intimidating to try and figure out what to do with a jícama if one ended up in your shopping cart one day. Here is my tutorial on how to make my favorite Mexican street snack!

I like to give mine a little rub with a damp towel before I get down to the real business.

This particular jícama is well over 3 lbs. They range from ounces up to 6 lbs. I usually try to find them that are 1-2 lbs. but it seemed like the store didn't have any smaller than this when I was there. I'm not complaining! That just means more jícama for me! For the sake of this tutorial, however, I cut out a chunk for demonstration.

I use a knife to get under the skin and then use my hand to peel it back. It is much quicker and faster than trying to cut off the skin.

See that big chunk of peel? That was fun. There is still a small bit of rough skin on the outside. When I begin to cut the jícama, I can easily cut this off.

I cut slices about 1/2 inch thick.

I stack some slices and cut them into sticks. Before I do this, I trim the sides so my sticks will not have the rounded edges. These sides either go directly into my mouth (highly likely), I give them to Eva, or I save them for a salad.

I place the sticks in a cup and squeeze a little lime juice over them. Then add a dash of salt. A little goes a long way--remember, you can always add MORE but it is harder to take away! Feeling spicy? Add a dash of chili powder.

Wrap up any leftover sticks in plastic or place in a baggie. You can refrigerate them for up to a week. Jícama sticks make great snacks. They are healthy and refreshing on those hot summer days. It really takes me back to the time I spent in Mexico when you could buy jícama sticks from street vendors on every major corner. Enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. I must try. Thanks! I never knew what to do with those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:14 AM

    YUM! I love jicama... Thanks for a new way to eat it, I have only eaten it in salads or plain (cut in sticks). :)

    p.s. Good luck with the potty training - I don't envy you a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once you mentioned how it is pronounced I realized I have tasted jicama before. Just plain. I didn't have any idea what they looked like pre-peeled and cut or that it was spelled that way. I'll have to get one and try it your way sometime soon. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have friends who always have it on their relish tray. My problem is that when I have bought them they are brown inside when I cut them up. I take them back. I think 2 our 3 I have boughten, I have had to take back. Any hints of how to pick a good one?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is boughten a word???
    Also it should say 2 out of 3.
    Sorry, need to proof read more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I'm hungry. Luckily I have to go grocery shopping tonight. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marsha-I've never had that problem. That's good that you took them back because they really shouldn't be like that. I've had good luck with the ones from Super Saver.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seeing that picture it's like a little jicama shot. Salt, then jicama, then lime. Although I really don't know anything about 'shots' anyway. . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, that is good! I haven't had it in a while. There was a lady on my mission that would grow it. I wonder how they would do in containers?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wendy, that's funny:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tutorial on this. I recently purchased one of those little cookbooks at the grocery store check out line and it had a salad recipe that called for jicama, which they cut into star shapes. I had no clue wat jicama was! I may look for this in the store and give the salad a whirl :)

    Thanks again.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous1:27 PM

    Very profession tutorial! I think I need to buy a jicama when I shop today. I'll try the lime juice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love jicama and have always described as a sweet turnip. Never had it with lime and salt so will have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a long-time jicama lover but I've never had it cooked. I think I'll try grilling some -- I have a two-pounder in my fridge at home. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete