Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Knitting

I sometimes forget how wierd it can be for some people that I brought four different knitting projects to work on for a 3 day trip to Las Vegas. I know the people that read my blog for the knitting content wouldn't be surprised but the people on the plane (Shawn excluded) and Mary and Megan probably thought it was a little obsessive. I don't deny it.

I finished the back of my sweater before I left and decided to cast on for the front when I was waiting to board the plane. I left my little knitting bag of extras in my suitcase that I checked (because of the scissors) so I didn't have any stitch markers. I didn't even have any contrasting yarn I could use. What was I supposed to do? I looked around for some inspiration. Lo and behold, luggage tags! I'm sure everyone was wondering why my knitting was "tagged" but it sure made the knitting go quickly having the center panel marked off. I took this picture as soon as I reached the hotel so that is as much knitting as I got done on the flight to Vegas. As of right now, I am about 2 inches until I can start decreasing for the armholes.

I also brought along my blue cardigan and the Drunken Argyle. I didn't knit on those at all during the trip but I felt good knowing that I had the option. :)


This stockinette hat was my go-to for knitting on the go. I did a huge chunk of this waiting for Mary to try on her new super cute maternity wardrobe and also in taxis. This hat is a special order from Caleb's speech pathologist. I hope she likes it. I just finished it up this evening.

10 comments:

  1. You can take knitting needles on the plane?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun fun. Glad your back and had a good time. Maybe I wouldn't have understood your knitting addiction, but of late I have been rather hooked on sewing. It is very fun. I'm also especially pleased to see your knitting because I know I have benefitted from your skills. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, knitting needles can go on the plane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got my crochet hook through Omaha but it was confiscated when I flew back from Cabo. I think it depends on the inspector. Looks like the sweater is really moving along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You shouldn't have had a crochet hook confiscated. It is certainly on the approved list.

    There was a time right after 9/11 that you couldn't take metal needles. But, for a while now it has been okay.

    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/
    permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think you're obsessive! I think you're using your time wisely. I used to be a cross stitcher and would take it everywhere with me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:55 PM

    Is that hat easy enough for a novice like me??? I've been wanting to be able to make those for some time now, but haven't gotten around to it. (I think you know who will benefit!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janet- Easy peasy. You just need some circular needles and/or some double pointed needles and you're good to go. We'll have a "class" while you're here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, guess what Christy! You can take small scissors (4" or under) on planes now (carry-on, not checked!). I read it somewhere and have been testing it for the past year. I did it on four separate flights in May. Noooo problem!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just read that once I came home! Oh well. I didn't really need scissors for the flight---just those darn stitch markers! But, then I wouldn't have discovered my "in a pinch" luggage tag stitch markers. Maybe I'll start a trend?

    ReplyDelete