Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Garage Sales

It is that time of year, my friends. I put it off as long as I could. Yesterday I went to some garage sales. It started out innocently enough. It was a beautiful day and Eva and I needed something to do in the morning. We also had a list of things to be on the lookout for.

What to look for:

1. sewing machine
2. twin bed frames
3. twin bed sheets
4. summer clothes for the kids
5. cool stuff that I can't live without.

Here is what I bought:

1. toilet seat--for real. We're thinking part of the problem with Caleb's not wanting to sit on the toilet is some sort of sensory issue. I've been thinking about buying a cushy seat (with Elmo on it) to stick on the toilet. But, my inner Carl was telling me not to spend $15 on such a thing. Good thing I heeded that wise inner voice because I found one at the first place I stopped for $1! It isn't Elmo but it has Blue's Clues on it. Good enough. Are you grossed out that I bought a potty seat at a garage sale? I was a little bit but then I realized that it isn't as bad as having him use a public restroom. At least I know I'm going to clean it well before he uses it. I hope it works. I had an IEP meeting at his school today and we added on some sensory integration into his therapy routine and also included more regular trips to sit on the potty.

2. summer clothes for Caleb--I found a few pairs of shorts for him and that was about it. I've noticed that most of the 5T clothes were pretty worn through.

3. summer clothes for Eva--I hit the jackpot here. I got Eva some of the cutest little shorts and sundresses. She got 4 pairs of shorts, 3 shirts, and 2 dresses.

4. Larry the Cucumber "potato" head toy--This is the funnest toy! The kids have been playing with it all day. Basically, it is Larry the cucumber and he has all sorts of accessories to put on (a hair brush and towel, his pirate patch, etc...).

5. a Hello Kitty twin reversible bedspread with sheets--this is going to look great in Eva's room! I also got another set of twin sheets. They aren't cute but will be good for company or when I'm behind on laundry.

6. an Old Navy maternity sweater--why? I got it for 50 cents and I am going to rip it apart for the yarn. It is white cotton.

7. two white wood tables--they are square end tables and I think they will be great as work tables for the kids. I'm so sick of that ugly Spongebob table. Now I just need to find some cute chairs to go with them.

I found a sewing machine for $5 but it needed to be fixed. I knew that even if the fix was an easy one I probably wouldn't get around to doing it. So, I passed it up. I also found a couple of over priced beds. So, I guess I'll have to go out garage saleing again soon.

Wanna guess how much money I spent? The closest one to the actual total from today will win my sincere congratulations, a shout out on this blog, AND will from here on out be known as (by me, at least) the QUEEN (or KING if you prefer) of GARAGE SALE PRICE GUESSING. I know, I know. I'm so generous.

13 comments:

  1. $41! You should have said that we have to guess the closest without going over! I have the Price is Right fever with Bob Barker retiring...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love garage sales so much I'm considering going out this morning with all three kids. Yes, I'm crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just got back from going out this morning. We all loaded up and hit 4 different sales. I got some really cute church clothes for Caleb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say $15.75. My neighbor and I are going to have a yard sale in June. I can't wait. I had so much fun last year with you. I wonder if we'll do the all night pizza party....w/ pepsi:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd have to guess somewhere between 25-30 dollars. How's that for a single number.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My guess is $17 I wanted to go today at the big University farm sale but Steve said no way... we are having trees cut today and that is costing major Money... Plus I am flying to NC next weekend for my dads memorial service... We are placing his flag from the casket at a veterans memorial in the cemetery where he was buried in January. This is my kidd free weekend woo hoo not as great as vegas but kid free.

    ReplyDelete
  7. $36.50

    I love garage sales. I hope I get to be queen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. $14.10
    I went to one garage sale today in University Farms and everything.....EVERYTHING was overpriced. That made me not want to go to anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. $17.50--this was my total before I looked at your comments and I decided I needed to stick to it. I love garage sales. I have this beautiful purple dress that I always get compliments on when I wear and it is so wonderful when I can say I bought it for 10 cents!! It even still had the tags on it. Yippee--here's to finding all the other things on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:47 PM

    Hmmm. Without going back to tally up from your blog entry, I'll guess $21. Sounds like you've had such a blast. I'd like to go bargain-hunting, but I dare not. I'm still trying to find places for the stuff I got from Mom's house. Too bad you and your readers can't come to the FANTASTIC estate sale later this month. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm gonna say $31.50! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7:04 PM

    My guess is $20.

    Congrats, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, That sounds fun. The BEST thing to get at garage sales of course is cool things you can't live without. I love garage sale shopping. Larry potato-head sounds SO cool.
    By hte way, I meant to tell you a long time ago that yes, I konw the Bench's. Doreen was my VT companion, and I was excited to get to know her even better, but then we didn't go for quite a while because we both had baby girls the same month. But anyway, you can tell her hello from me if you remember. Have fun with the Kooky Cooks!

    ReplyDelete