Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Historian

I recently finished the book The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. It is about Vlad Tepes (aka Dracula) and some historians that are drawn into his life by researching him. They find that Dracula is alive and well (not a spoiler---you find this out in the first couple of pages) and then you go on a fantastic journey throughout Europe to find him.

I'm a big fan of historical fiction. It always makes me want to learn more about subjects that I had never really thought of before. I've never been interested in Dracula but I thought this book would be a good read. Plus, it's long and I enjoy books that are a bit meaty. I learned a lot about history and now I'm keenly interested in finding out more about the man behind the myth.

This book is rated PG for a lot of death and vampire attacks (although they are not described in gruesome detail). There is very little cussing (if any) and sex (come to think of it...I don't think there is any).

I give this book an A- only because it did get a little slow in some parts. However, it did not cause me to lose my interest in the book.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:20 PM

    No sex in a Dracula book? I didn't think they made Dracula books without sex in them. Have you read Bram Stoker's Dracula? It's completely freaky. I'll put the Historian on my list.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shocking, but true. Probably because it's more about the historians and less about Dracula.

    I think you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that sounds like a good book! i love those type of history with a tweek type books and movies. like the movie National Treasure, oh so fun!
    i'm looking forward to that new series on tv Treasure hunters. it looks like it should be fun and may be just as good as my fav fav show amazing race.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Treasure Hunter commercials do make it look appealing! I'm sure we'll be checking out that show.

    ReplyDelete