Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Lights, Camera, Action, WIGGLES!

The better part of yesterday was spent going to the Wiggles concert. We left Lincoln around 2pm (after having to go back to the house to get the tickets...I didn't get far before I remembered) and drove to Omaha to pick up Carl from work. We had some time to spare so I drove them all to a yarn shop. I bought some sock yarn (Trekking XXL). After the yarn store, it seemed like everyone was hungry. We went to Fuddruckers (Carl's favorite). I used up 28 weight watchers points there (not really worth it, but oh well). After eating, we drove around Council Bluffs, Iowa trying to find a good place to buy roses for Dorothy the Dinosaur. No luck. It ended up being okay because it was just a Wiggly Dancer that came to our section to pick up the roses (no luck on it being Murray---my favorite!). We got to the Mid America Center and we were one of the first people there. We had to wait about 10 minutes before they opened the doors. The kids played on the grass and Caleb had a good time playing with another boy's Wiggle dolls. He didn't have such a great time when it was time to give them back. Once inside, we kept the kids semi-contained. We ran right past the merchandise table. There were all sorts of things for sale but all very pricey. Sorry Caleb, but mommy and daddy are too cheap to buy you a $15 hat.

Our seats were really close to the stage (8 rows up on the side). But, we did realize that there were really no bad seats in that place. It's not that big. We were the first row in the "cheap" section so we had a little fence between our seats and the row in front of us. This turned out to be a great blessing. It kept Caleb and Eva from jumping into the rows in front of us (most of the time). They had 2 big screens playing a video (Wiggle Sailing Around the World--the theme of this tour). That helped keep them a little occupied.

At 6:30pm sharp the show started. Caleb was having a hard time with the noise and the lights. I had to cover his ears for most of the show, but he was watching. He was so excited when he saw the Wiggles drive out in their big red car. He said, "LOOK! It's the WIGGLES! Hi Greg! Hi Murray! Hi Anthony! Hi Jeff!". It was pretty awesome to see them come in. They were so close. Right away Murray and Jeff jumped off the stage and started running around the arena. We were sitting right by the aisle but Murray was just one aisle away from us. Bummer. So close.

I was worried that most of the songs were going to be from their Sailing Around the World dvd (which I don't like very much). But, I was wrong. As Carl said, "they know their bread and butter". They sang all of the favorites like "Fruit Salad", "Do the Monkey", "Quack Quack Cock-a-doodle doo", "Rock-a-bye Your Bear", and "Hot Potato". Caleb lightened up towards the end and started singing and dancing. I still had to cover his ears a lot and the last song had some wacky lighting so he kind of freaked out for that, but I think he had a great time! Eva danced, too, but I think she was most interested in trying to eat the food that the people behind us had. Tiffany is going to see the Wiggles with some of her kids next week so here are some tips:
Bring a camera. I didn't because I was thinking they wouldn't be allowed. They are.
If you're sitting in the floor section, bring a sign and/or something for the Wiggles. All of the kids that brought stuff took it to the stage and they Wiggles took it and said their names. N would love that! Jeff was the only Wiggle to collect roses so unless you have some sitting around, I wouldn't bother. On one of the songs they turn down all the lights and ask for you to turn on your cell phones or other lights. So, bring some kind of light. You're going to have a blast!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:22 AM

    Sounds like so much fun!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:52 AM

    You know, I heard somewhere that the Wiggles are the highest paid Australian entertainers. They make more than Nicole Kidman.

    I'm glad you guys had fun and remembered to bring the kids with you. Sounds like a blast.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait!!!! I think I'll take earplugs. The audiologist wants M to wear earplugs to prevent further hearing loss when we go to loud stuff. We didn't buy really great seats, so I'll skip the roses. It will be a 1 parent: 2 kid ratio and I want to take only what I'll need. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Compared to "real" concerts, it wasn't that loud. Caleb is just really sensitive to those types of things. Although, I'm sure it would be a good idea for M, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:23 PM

    I'm glad you had a fun time. Wish I could have been there too.

    ReplyDelete