Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Something Quite Atrocious*

Frog had his first real session today with the professional (Miss C) from Lincoln Public Schools. We worked on getting him to communicate some and she gave me some strategies on how to help him speak more and echo less. She was really impressed with his singing ability. Frog serenaded her with "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious", "The Sound of Music", "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang", and "Follow the Prophet". She asked me how many songs he knows. Hmmm. More than I do? It's a lot.

We set up a plan to get him into the preschool. They have some openings in the morning session and there is already a kid that we know from church that goes at that time. He's a child with high functioning autism that is just a few months older than Frog. We're going to visit the classroom next week and probably get him started either right before or right after we move (APR 15!). It will be 5 days a week for 2 1/2 hours a day. They provide transportation and everything. My tax dollars at work. I'm sure that he'll thrive in this kind of environment. I'm really grateful that we were able to get him some help.

I'm also looking forward to some one and one time with Big Apple. She rarely gets me all to herself. I feel bad for her sometimes because Frog can really drain my energy and take my attention away from her. Just this morning I had to decide which kid was going to be happy. BA was playing with an empty juice jug that Frog wanted to throw away. BA would cry if I let him trash it and Frog would not only cry but become abusive if I let her play with it. It was BA's turn to be happy. I offered Frog something else to throw away. No luck. Kicking and screaming. We put him in the "jail" (our foyer shut off by a gate). Everytime BA walked by w/ the jug he would flip out. She started playing with it out of his sight and he calmed down enough that when I let him out, I got him started on something else and he was fine. Let me just say that BA and I could really use some time to ourselves.

Miss C noticed that I knit. She mentioned that it must be relaxing for me to be able to do that after a long day with the kids. How perceptive! It's so true. It made me realize that I didn't start knitting until Frog got to the age where he was really starting to get rowdy (about 18 months). I had tried knitting when he was a baby and it didn't really keep my interest. But, when I picked it up again at that time, I couldn't stop. I can't stop. It's my sanity. I'm so glad I have that outlet to turn to. It's a bonus that there is an actual product that comes from it! Blogging is another way that I'm able to reduce some stress. So, thanks everyone! I think I would still blog if nobody read it, but seeing all the comments really make my day!

It's BA's bedtime so I'm getting kicked out of here for now. More later.

*The title for this post comes from a line in the song, "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious". It's how the Frog asks me to sing this song with him. He'll come up to me and say, "something quite atrocious?". How can I say no to that?

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad he'll get into the preschool. Which school is it at? I'm assuming Holmes, but maybe not? I'm sure he will love it and do so well. And you're right, it's a good break for you and BA too. I felt so bad for my kiddos when we were trying to figure Whitney's milk intolerance out (they were neglected a bit since she would scream all day and I would most likely cry or want to sleep all day). My nephew that has Down Syndrome is in one of the LPS preschool programs and loves it, and my sis-in-law does too. She said it was hard to send him everyday but he's doing so well. AND my neighbors little boy is a peer helper/model/whatever at Sheridan. It's so great that they have those programs available!! Are you gettin' the itch to move yet? It's getting close!!

    p.s. Madison was OBSESSED with Mary Poppins at Caleb's age. She actually would tell people her name was Mary Poppins (my best friends little boy introduced Maddie to her by saying, "this is my new friend Mary Poppins!"), and she loved Supercali. . .except she refused to sing it without an umbrella to dance with. . .so funny. And I just remembered when she would find a tape measure, she would hold it up and say "practically perfect in every way." Oh, my, I need to make sure I write all that down somewhere (I guess I just did :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:53 AM

    If it's any consolation, I know how you feel about struggling to divide my attention equitably among the kids. I have a friend here who's mom told her when she had her 2nd that if both are crying you should pay attention to the oldest because the baby will never remember. Haha.

    I'm glad Frog and you have a good thing going with the preschool. Preschool is awesome. I just found out that I was too late to sign up for the next session of the preschool that Bruce is in now and loves. Registration started last Monday and I waited until Wednesday night. Sheesh. I guess we'll have to settle with gymnastics, but I have to go to that with him. Blah.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update! Preschool changed Dave's life (other kids can touch him without him freaking out, he doesn't cry non stop anymore). I hope it will have the same impact for your Frog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm glad things are working out the BA alone time will be awesome! and i'm sure that frog will love the school once he gets used to it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. wendy--that's so funny about Madison! Caleb likes to sing Supercali with a tambourine so he can bang it on my head (you know the part, right?). If he doesn't have a tambourine he just pretends he has one but will still hit me on the head.

    Catherine-- That's too bad about preschool. He's got enough kids around him, though, that he probably gets plenty of interaction.

    Mary--imagine a classroom full of kids with autism that don't want to be touched. Now imagine Caleb...the ultimate pusher/hitter/hugger. I hope they'll learn not to cry! :)

    The kids are banging on the door but I had to come in here for a few minutes! SD has been gone ALL DAY and won't be home until 9:30pm tonight. I need a break!

    ReplyDelete