Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Friday, July 18, 2008

Hear that?

My kids were formula babies. Even though I know there are some adoptive moms out there that choose to breastfeed, I didn't feel like I needed to join the club. I have never once regretted that decision. My kids have been healthy and happy. I guess maybe some breastfeeding advocates could say that maybe formula caused Caleb's autism? Although, there are probably more breastfed kids with autism than those that used formula. I'm just guessing.

I have always liked that I kind of have a free pass out of the breastfeeding debate. I don't ever really feel the need to get involved. Besides, why should I care about what someone else wants to feed their baby. It isn't like formula is crack. Maybe breastfeeding (over)activists think it is just as bad as crack so they can justify putting mothers that can't or don't breastfeed down? At any rate, I prefer to stay out of it.

Sometimes I can't help myself. Most people recognize that a main benefit of breastfeeding is fewer ear infections. When my kids were younger and bottle feeding, nearly all of their friends were breastfed. Nearly all of their friends got ear infections. I was wondering when it would happen to mine. Nothing. Some of those kids got their second and third infections. Then some of those kids got tubes in their ears. Mine? Not even a hint of infection. I know that there are a lot of other reasons to choose breast over bottle but from my personal experience, I know that this one doesn't hold a lot of stock for me. Whenever this point in the argument would come up, I'd put in my $.02 that my kids were exclusively on formula and have never had ear infections.

Until today.

Eva has an ear infection. I am certain this has more to do with swimming pools than the fact that she drank formula for the first 12 months of her life. Still, I'm sad that my streak is over.

2 comments:

  1. I breastfed all four of mine, and I couldn't agree with you more that there is too much fuss made about formula. One breastfeeding book I read compared giving your baby formula to letting them eat birthday cake for breakfast. I mean, nursing them was great, but two out of the four had to be supplemented with formula anyway and I think less guilt on my part for giving them the "birthday cake" would have made my life just that much easier.

    My kids have had few ear infections too. I think it's just predisposition to getting them. And I agree that it was probably all the time spent in the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:52 PM

    I just don't understand the point of making people feel bad about what they feed their kids - I returned almost all my breastfeeding books because they made me angry. Sorry your ear infection streak is over - I hope we make it that long!


    PS Birthday cake for breakfast sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete