Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Willy Wonka

The Crafty Conservative

I just got home from my solo date to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Here's a run-down.

1. The new songs are so much fun!
2. Johnny Depp is fabulously creepy and "weird" as Willy Wonka.
3. The musical score makes me want to get the soundtrack (but only if they include those as tracks).
4. Deep Roy is the only person playing an Oompa-Loompa. He's just computer generated the rest of the time. It's truly amazing.
5. I wish I could have seen this on an IMAX screen.
6. It is better than the original (which I loved!).
7. It is more true to the book than the original.
8. Did I mention that the new songs are so much fun?
9. The old guy that stole the show on Waking Ned Devine (awesome movie!) is Charlie's grandpa that goes with him. He's awesome.
10. Actually, the casting was fabulous. Okay, maybe having Helena Bonham Carter as Charlie's poor mother is stretching it a little. She has a lovely English accent and it's hard to imagine her as poor.

This movie gets 4.5 out of 5 stars. The only reason it loses points is because I miss seeing Beruca sing with the eggs. Now she doesn't sing...just has a mishap with some squirrels.

I hope none of you feel like this post is a spoiler. I figure most people have seen the original so you can't be too surprised by anything that happens in this movie. But, definitely go see it! It's kid friendly, too (probably 5-6 and up).

2 comments:

  1. oh i'm so glad that the movie is good. bummer she doesn't sing though....i can't wait to go see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, we might have to try it out after all. Dave's best pal at work didn't like it-but he's kind of a bozo anyway. A good review from you carries more weight than a bad one from him.

    ReplyDelete