Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Thursday, July 21, 2005

The Not-So Kid Friendly Mall

The Crafty Conservative

It's Lemon Days at the mall here in Lincoln. I don't really know what that means but they were giving away $10 mall certificates to the first 50 families that brought in canned food this morning. Hmmm...was it worth the trip?

The mall setup is wacky. The main part of the mall is on the second floor. The first floor is covered parking. They have escalators. No elevators. What the heck am I supposed to do with my stroller? Well, they have elevators in the major dept. stores. My dilemma? The dept. stores don't open until 10am. I had to be in line for the gift card before then. My only way in was up an escalator. I put Big Apple in the Snugli and hoped Frog would be a good walker. He wasn't. He flopped out the whole way there. I couldn't bend over to pick him up because I had BA in front of me. I had to drag my child through the mall. Lovely. By the time we got to the area where we needed to be, I had sweat running down my face and I was feeling like $10 wasn't really worth the trouble. But, I was already there. I was #40. Had I waited for Frog to behave (instead of using the drag method) I probably wouldn't have made it and that would have made me even more angry.

They gave Frog a balloon and I got a mall stroller big enough for both kids. Nothing like pushing a big fire truck around a small mall. But, it's better than dragging around an almost 50 lb. two yr. old. I went to Bath and Body Works to take back an item and they had an awesome sale. I bought two bags (I envision SD rolling his eyes..."how many bags do you need?"). One of the bags will be a great knitting bag ($9) and the other one was only $1. How could I resist that? Obviously, I couldn't. I also purchased a clearance sweater (Lane Bryant) and some Crocs. I thought these were the most ridiculous things until I wore my mom's pair while I was at home. I didn't want to take them off. Ever. I got black to match my swimsuit since I'll be going to the pool a lot once I get my gym membership. Shopping was fun and it took my mind off how I was going to get us all back in the car.

Here's what I did (after a call to SD to see if he could come and help me during his lunch hour...he thought I was nuts):

1. Find an elevator.
2. Find my car which was nowhere near an elevator but parked right by one of the very "useful" escalators.
3. Unload my purchases and the diaper bag.
4. Find an elevator.
5. Find the place where I am supposed to return the stroller.
6. Put BA back in the Snugli.
7. Pull Frog out of the stroller. He loses a shoe and for the life of me I don't know how I'm going to put it back on him without the baby falling out of the Snugli. He miraculously minds me and I have no problem getting him to step into his shoe.
8. Walk to the escalator (not even a hint of a tantrum!).
9. Thinking I'm home free.
10. Go down the escalator.
11. The tantrums start. Hmmm. Must be the escalator. Frog wants to go again and again.
12. I have no time or patience to take him up and down the escalator. Must not avoid the inevitable.
13. Drag the Frog across the parking lot.
14. Load up both kids in the car with minimal damage to myself and them.
15. Crank up the A/C and vow to never ever under any circumstances do that again.

5 comments:

  1. Oh the memories your post brought back! It will get better and easier. You will learn that blackmail is awesome (walk quickly with me and I'll buy you the fries/gum/whatever). And the time will come when they will both be in school and you can do all your shopping without kids. And then you will look back and miss these times. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy have I walked in those shoes! (and mine are Crocs too) I'm glad you got your gift card for your trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, only because I understand only too well. I have a dislocated rib (in my back). How did this happen I'm asked? I have a two-year old that threw a huge tantrum at Church on Sunday--how else?! Lots of sympathy from those who understand and strange looks from those who don't. I'll send good vibes up your way for more pleasant outings in the near future.

    Miss you already . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. sometimes i really hate going places with the kids by myself... i don't think i've ever had it that bad though. i've heard of those crocs, i'm not to sure about them... but maybe i'll givem a try:)if they're comfy who cares what they look like, maybe they will grow on me... i love finding bags for a good price! good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, next time I'll come with you then we'll be so outnumbered by kids that we can just ignore the craziness and chat while we stroll for our bargin bags! (Check out my church bag on Sunday--that's right Bath and Body works sale last year!! $11)
    And what is with those "kid-friendly" strollers at the mall. .. it's like driving a Hummer!!

    ReplyDelete