Followers

Click to Learn More

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org
kirtsy!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Blog Archive

Monday, July 18, 2005

The local yarn store

The Crafty Conservative

Threads, my LYS, is just a mile away. Threads, Too is located just five miles away. I haven't been there yet. I had an interesting experience when I went to check out Threads and I thought I'd share. Let me preface this story with the fact that I LOVED my previous LYS, River Knits. They were knowledgeable, friendly, and they had some great yarn in stock.

I called Threads on Friday morning to inquire about a ball winder. The lady on staff there said that they had one. I asked about accessability for a stroller (something not possible at River Knits). No problem. At least that was true. I packed up the kids and headed out. I browsed a bit and then mentioned that I was the one that called about the ball winder. They didn't really have any for sale. All the ones they had were open and the one she could have sold me was missing a part and she couldn't find it or the box. I wasn't all too upset because I wanted to check out the store anyway but I could have waited a couple of more days to do it without my two children in tow. I had them order me one because I want to support the LYS but I kind of wish I hadn't and just ordered one myself online.

They don't have much yarn that I was interested in. It was mainly Brown Sheep wool and lots of eyelash yarn. I did leave with 50g of sock yarn that I plan to use with a different color 50g that I have in my stash. The prices seemed reasonable but I think my main form of stash enhancement will now have to become the internet. I probably shouldn't reserve judgement as the lady said that some of the more "high-end" yarns are at the other location. They are having a sale this weekend (10% off everything in stock and up to 70% off some items like beads and cone yarn). I might get some addi turbos at 10% off. We'll see.

Oh, I bought one other thing while I was there...a chibi! I think I got mine for $4. My darning needle I have been using is too big for a lot of my projects.

Lily Chen is going to be in town in September (touted as the fastest crocheter in the nation) to give some workshops. They are too pricey for me and what I wanted to go to is on Sunday (sorry, I have that whole 'keep the Sabbath day holy' thing). Their regular classes are mainly for beginners. I think they have one class where you can learn to design your own sweater. I think I'll pass. Maybe I'll see if they are looking for any other teachers to do a class or two. I have loads of teaching experience (even though it's not with knitting) but I don't really know what kind of class I could teach. Maybe socks. Just a thought...

The computer room has just been invaded by the Frog. He's got his dad here now but he still can't get enough of me! Cute, but I would like a few minutes of privacy. Speaking of privacy, tomorrow night I'm going to see a movie. BY MYSELF! I'm going to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I hope I'm not disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. bummer you didn't have such a great time there!
    that would be cool if you could teach!
    i hope that movie is good!

    ReplyDelete